Bryan Hullihen Shares Some Experiences, Strength, and Hope


It was over 10 years ago now, but I'll never forget the day I learned just how pervasive my alcoholic thoughts were. I was in early recovery, brand new in fact, when I would have these thoughts of lashing out, yelling, or just doing something taboo at the least opportune time. I was being helped by a man, a doctor, who later became my friend and mentor and since he was working me through the early days of my recovery from alcoholism I naturally went to talk to him. I explained my thoughts to him and he asked me if I acted on those thoughts and I, of course, said no. He then asked me if my bed was made, did I do all the things I was supposed to that day, and if I had tried to help another alcoholic to which I responded in the affirmative. He then said, "Welcome to early recovery. Your thoughts are crazy because alcoholism is a mental disorder that causes us to act crazy. Someone who isn't crazy doesn't drink their life to shambles. The good news is that the more you do for your recovery the less crazy you become and eventually you'll straighten out mentally and your thoughts will become sane again. Now get out of my office and get to work!” It doesn't matter in the beginning what we think or feel but what we do is what counts. So, if you're having a bad day get into service wherever you can in order to combat the disorder comprised of selfishness and self-centeredness known as alcoholism. Thank you all for your continued support and I look forward to reading your comments.

Your friend,

Bryan Hullihen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bryan Hullihen Talks About the Importance of Solidarity

Bryan Hullihen and Transcending Levels

Bryan Hullihen and Balance in Expectations